The Downer Family
The Downer family too had roots within this area with Charles Downer the oldest son of the pioneering Henry and Jane Downer owning a grand house called Alton on Torrens road at no’s 347/369. Charles was a chemist at Port Adelaide and also owned an aerated and soda water business. In 1888 he had a partner C.W. IVE and they added a wine and spirit business to their company.
Charles was a councillor for the Kilkenny Ward from 1879-81, was chairman of the Woodville district council 1880-81. C1884 he became a J.P. Downer Street in Kilkenny is named after him. Charles died on the 17 of April 1903 aged 69.
The fourth son in that family Sir John William Downer who is the thread that connects Alexander Downer our previous national liberal politician for SA to Kilkenny. His great great great Uncle was Kilkenny’s own Charles Downer.
Download an excerpt from a book on the Downer Family in SA here.